Somalia is dying of hunger!
The following is a handful of organizations seeking donations to funnel to the Horn's crisis:
- The United Nations: There are several UN agencies working together to address the regional crisis. UNHCR, the refugee agency, has a page on its website detailing what aid specific amounts of money will buy for its effort in Somalia. , the UN children's agency, is also seeking assistance (donate here).
- The a full page detailing its efforts in the region and is collecting donations. has
- alleviate the drought in the region, which was the key cause of the famine. It is providing both emergency water supplies and leading efforts to build more sustainable water resources and practices. is accepting donations for its efforts to
- The announced last week that they will be opening ten new feeding centers, expanding services in existing feeding centers, and launching a program specifically geared toward malnourished children under five and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. You can find out more, including how to donate, here. has been in Somalia, working alongside the Somali Red Crescent Society, since the 1970s. The two
- The here and donate here. has operations in Kenya, , and Somalia that run the gamut from supplying water to providing medical screening in the refugee camps. Find out more
- Mercy Corps has emergency operations in northeastern Kenya, and teams in Ethiopia and Somalia as well providing food, water, and other assistance. You can learn more here and donate here.
- World Vision has launched emergency relief programs in Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia, and Tanzania. For more information on their services, which run the gamut from nutrition assistance to livestock support, go here.
- Save the Children has been in the region for decades and is focusing its efforts on supplying food, nutrition, health care, and water. To find out more about their work in East Africa and to donate, go here.